Student Action for Refugees
STAR is a national network of students advocating for refugees and asylum seekers whilst raising awareness about the issues that face them. At St Georges, we have worked closely with CARAS, a community outreach charity that support people of refugee and asylum seeker backgrounds. Over the past year we've been able to:
• Run our football project for refugee young people every week
• Deliver Christmas gifts to 30 young people as part of the STAR Christmas present drive
• Develop and deliver teaching sessions on refugee health
• Advocate for access to healthcare for refugees and asylum seekers at St George's in conjunction with the Patients not Passports campaign
• Held meetings with University senior management about providing bursaries for refugees and asylum seekers to study at St George's
We hope to continue this fantastic effort through the coming year despite the pandemic, and we can't wait to have new faces join the committee. We are currently recruiting and if you want to be involved please follow this link and fill in the online form.
We are a friendly society and welcome new members to join us. There are no membership costs and we regularly update the society through our mailing list, so be sure to join and help make Tooting a better place! Visit our social media pages to find out more information. We look forward to wecloming you as a member of our society!